Research Ethics and Integrity
Format: Wits accredited online short course
Certification: Wits University certificate of competence
Length: 8 weeks
Breakdown: 6 weeks consecutive online lectures, one exam in week 8
Hours per week: 3 to 4
Click here to view more about our payment options
Price*: R 9 775.00
* price includes VAT
- Articulate the philosophical and moral principles of ethics
- Resolve ethical problems in decision-making
- Help sustain a culture of research ethics
- Apply scientific integrity and publication ethics in their support role
- Support research protocol development and good clinical practice
- Module 1: Philosophy and Moral Principles of Ethics
- Module 2: Resolving Ethical Problems
- Module 3: Research Ethics
- Module 4: Scientific Integrity and Publication Ethics
- Module 5: Research Protocol Development
- Module 6: Research Ethics Committee Admin
- Prof Prem Govender is Director of Research and Postgraduate Studies at the Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University (SMU) in Ga-Rankuwa, South Africa. He provided strategic management and leadership of cutting-edge research and associated postgraduate activities at SMU when it was established as a university in 2015. He holds a Postgraduate Diploma in Health Research Ethics from the ARESA (Advancing Research Ethics in Southern Africa) programme of the Centre for Medical Ethics and Law at Stellenbosch University.
- Prof Eme Owoaje of the University of Ibadan is an experienced public health physician, lecturer, and researcher. She has been involved in research management and administration for ten years and was the first Director of the Research Management Office (RMO) at the University of Ibadan from 2010 to 2015. Professor Owoaje facilitated the production of the institutional Ethics Policy and the creation of additional ethics review committees to cover the various areas of research across the university. Professor Eme Owoaje is currently the Head of the Department of Community Medicine.
- Prof Paul Ndebele holds a PhD in Research Ethics and has vast experience in the area of Research Ethics and Integrity. He is currently serving as Director of the Medical Research Council Zimbabwe (MRCZ) and has prior appointments in the USA, Botswana and Malawi. Paul is an Adjunct Professor at Africa University and holds additional academic positions at the University of Malawi, Michigan State University, and the College of Health Sciences, University of Zimbabwe. He also serves on editorial boards for four peer-reviewed journals and also serves as a peer reviewer for a number of journals.
- 4 November 2019